Tomato, Vidalia Onion and Watercress Salad with Buttermilk Vinaigrette
- 6 large ripe heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 1 large Vidalia onions, thinly sliced
- 2 bunches watercress
- 1 buttermilk vinaigrette recipe (see below)
On a platter, scatter the watercress. Lay the tomatoes on watercress and scatter onions across tops of tomatoes. Pour vinaigrette over entire salad.
For the Buttermilk Vinaigrette dressing, I love Frank Stitt’s recipe. He is one of my favorite Southern chefs.
- 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 shallot, finely minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, lemon juice, shallot, and salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in the buttermilk, mayonnaise, and sour cream. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Taste and adjust the seasoning. (The vinaigrette can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.)