Chocolate Meringue Cookies
Written by Marie, Posted in Recipes
- Makes approximately 24 cookies
- 9 oz. egg whites (by weight) at room temperature
- Dash of cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons dutch cocoa powder
- 18 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- ¾ cup roughly chopped toasted walnuts
- In a Kitchen-Aid mixing bowl, beat egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar to soft peaks. Be careful not to over whip — it should be glossy with soft peaks.
- Slowly add granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, until add is incorporated.
- Remove mixer from stand and fold by hand the cocoa, chocolate and walnuts into the meringue.
- Using a 70# scoop, place scoops of meringue onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 275 degrees for approximately 20-25 minutes, rotating once after half of baking time. Cookies are done when they lift off the paper. Cook completely uncovered and store in an airtight container.