- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- ½ pound potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- ¾ pound sorrel, trimmed and torn in large pieces
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- sour cream
Heat butter in a deep pot and sauté onions until wilted and turning golden, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute. Add stock and heat, then add potatoes. Simmer until potatoes are done, about 10 minutes. Stir in sorrel and heat thoroughly.
Transfer to a food processor and puree. Return to the pot and heat for another few minutes, correcting seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream on top of each serving. This recipe doubles and even triples quite nicely and easily.