Cream of Tomato Soup
Written by Marie Nygren, Posted in Recipes
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion
- 2 lb tomatoes, peeled and quartered or 1 lg. can plum tomatoes (San Marzano)
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves, plus extra to garnish
- 1/2 cup whipping cream **
- salt and freshly ground pepper
Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes until softened. Stir in the tomatoes, carrots, chicken stock, parsley and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and simmer for 15-30 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
Purée the soup in a Vitamix or Cuisinart until it is smooth. Return the puréed soup to the saucepan. Stir in the cream and reheat gently. Season the soup to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
** this soup can also be made without the whipping cream