Sheep’s Milk Ricotta Gnudi with Wild Mushrooms and Country Ham Broth
- 1 fresh sheep’s milk ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 c finely grated parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp salt
- 3/4 c all purpose flour plus additional for coating
Drain ricotta for 24 hours to pull out whey. Mix all and let rest for one hour. Roll into small balls, dust with flour and reserve. Heat salted water to a boil and boil gnudi for 1 and a half minutes. Place immediately into ice water to chill. When cold remove from water and coat with a small amount of olive oil, reserve.
Wild Mushroom Saute
- 2 cups mixed cleaned mushrooms (morels, chanterelles, porcini, wood ears) Use as many types as you would like or just one or two. Cultivated mushrooms work fine, they are just not as flavorful.
- 1 ea. shallot, minced
- 1 ea. lemon, zest
- 4 tbl unsalted butter
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 3 tbl chopped italian parsley
Cut mushrooms into shapes which highlight their variety, Morels are good if split lengthwise and chanterelles if small enough are great whole. Porcini are good sliced. Heat butter over medium high heat until foamy, add shallot and sweat for 1 to 2 min. Add mushrooms in order of density and desired cooking time (they will cook at different rates). When all mushrooms are in, bring heat to high and add stock. Reduce till glazed on mushrooms. Season well with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Add parsley and reserve.
Country Ham Broth
- 1 qt chicken stock no salt added
- 1 oz country ham scraps, including fat
- 1 ea shallot sliced
- 1 ea bay leaf
- 1 tsp sorghum syrup
Heat ham scraps over high heat until just colored. Add onions and cook one min, add sorghum then bay leaf and stock. Cook for 20 min at a simmer. Strain and reduce by half, reduce.
Gnudi, Mushrooms and Broth
Heat a few tbl of oil in thick bottomed pan. Add gnudi and sauté till colored on two sides and warm throughout. Divide into 6 bowls. Top with mushrooms and pour over broth. Shave parmigiano over the top.